Disclaimer: The RealSimGear Add-on is still in BETA form, as such, may cause instability and/or crashes with MSFS. Please report any issues found to our support team via an Intercom message (the chat box on our site), or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also feel free to join our Discord channel at: https://discord.gg/4jNRpwj for more updates and discussion. Do expect updates to this Add-on and/or CommandMapping files as we find/fix issues.
While this version of our Add-on now provides for a high level of compatibility between RealSimGear hardware and MSFS, there are some known issues we are continuing to work on:
- No native support for GTN650/750 hardware - There are no aircraft in MSFS that have a native GTN650/750 and no 3rd parties (ie Reality-XP) have released compatible GTN software. However, to make some use of the GTN650/750, we have mapped what corresponds to COM1 (in the RealSimGear Add-on UI) to control the touch screen controls in the TBM930, and COM2 to control the touch screen controls in the Cessna Longitude.
- TBM panel still only has about 1/2 of its functionality
- VNAV button on G1000, GFC500/700, does not work
- When in FLC/IAS mode, unable to set airspeed using the nose up/down or rotator
- Toggling of the APR and BC only turn those modes on, not off
- Long press of CLR (or any long press) does not work
- Likely other things ......
- NAV button on G1000 was not working properly - Fixed with version 2.0 of CM file
- COM FLIP on the GNS530 was not working - Fixed with version 2.1 of CM file
- The BARO knob only works in the Cessna 172 (G1000) aircraft - Fixed with 220.127.116.11 of the Add-on with 2.3.1 CM file
- Avionics switch on the Cirrus Switch Panel does not work - Fixed with 18.104.22.168 of the Add-on with 2.3.1 CM file
- FLC/IAS button on G1000, GFC500/700, does not work - Fixed with 22.214.171.124 of the Add-on with 2.5 CM file
- When using the HDG knob press (heading SYNC), the heading bug is set to 0 degrees (North) instead of the current heading - Fixed with 126.96.36.199 of the Add-on with 2.5 CM file
NOTE: Using this plugin requires that you update the firmware on your RealSimGear hardware to version 3.1.9 or greater. You can now user our new Firmware Utility for that, those instructions for that can be found HERE. NOTE: When you update the firmware on your hardware, you will also need to make sure you are using the latest X-Plane Plugin (if you also fly X-Plane) which can be download HERE. Same goes for FSX/P3D, however you can use the same installer below to update those by simply selecting them at the same time as MSFS.
Finally, if you had been testing the previous beta, where you simply downloaded a .zip file and unzipped it to your Desktop, you can remove that old version.
Ok, on to the fun stuff ......
Install the Add-on
The MSFS Add-on has been incorporated into our FSX/P3D/MSFS installer. To install, simply download the updated installer using the button below.
Once downloaded, find (usually your Downloads folder), the installer, "RealSimGear_FSX-P3D-MSFS_Installer.exe" and double click it to run the installer.
You will be prompted to allow the installer to run, please choose "Yes".
You will need to choose "I Agree" to use the Add-on.
Choose the "MSFS (BETA)" option and click "Install".
Starting MSFS and RealSimGear Add-on
Once you have the RealSimGear Add-on installed, simply start MSFS, which will auto-start the RealSimGear Add-on.
Once the RealSimGear Add-on has started, you will see a familiar interface as shown below. If you are unfamiliar with the Device Type selectors or the Rescan button, please refer to the Add-on User Manual for more info.
*Your interface should show all your RealSimGear hardware. If, after starting the Add-on, you do not see your RealSimGear hardware listed, please perform a "Rescan" operation which should detect your RealSimGear hardware.
Once the RealSimGear Add-on UI is present, feel free to load into an aircraft and location, and try out the hardware interface!
Selector for GNS Devices
MSFS does not really have the same concept of COM/NAV1 vs COM/NAV2 like we see in other simulators. As such, if you are using either of the GNS430/530 RealSimGear hardware, selecting COM1 or COM2 in the RealSimGear Device Interface will result in the following behavior:
- If you have a RSG GNS430 or 530 and select COM1, this will cause that hardware (regardless of whether it is a 430 or 530 hardware) to control the 530 in the aircraft.
- If you have a RSG GNS430 or 530 and select COM2, this will cause that hardware (regardless of whether it is a 430 or 530 hardware) to control the 430 in the aircraft.
In terms of getting the pop-outs populating the RealSimGear screens, hold down the Alt-Gr (The ALT key to the right of the space bar) while hovering your mouse over the in-aircraft avionics, such as the PFD, MFD, or GNS gauges (your cursor will change to a + sign) and then LEFT click. This will cause a pop-up. Note, if you do both the PFD and MFD you will get a combined image.
To separate them into distinct windows, click the + sign. Once you have two independent windows (PFD/MFD) drag them (without changing the size) to the appropriate RealSimGear screens (they will be pretty large, just make sure to drag the portion with the icons in top right into the RSG screen).
There are 3 options here:
1) Hit ALT ENTER keys, which should put those windows into Full Screen and they should fill the entire RealSimGear screen. Note if you resized them prior to ALT ENTER, you may get black/gray borders, if so, simply close them and repeat the pop-out process, taking care NOT to resize them prior to moving to the RSG screens.
2) Simply hit the "Maximize" icon which will maximize the pop-out in that screen, but will likely leave the title bar at the top.
3) Manually resize the sides and top/bottom to fully fit the screen
** The same process also works for the G1000, GNS430/530, and touch screen controllers in the TBM930 and Cessna Longitude.
The RealSimGear Add-on gets installed into your "Community" folder and contains a folder called "Data". Within the "Data" folder are the standard RealSimGear Add-on files, including the CommandMapping.ini. Please note, for MSFS, the CommandMapping.ini files are no longer readable/editable by customers. However, as we update those files, the latest will be posted HERE. You can simply download the latest and overwrite the one currently in the "..\Community\RealSimGear\Data" folder.